Sunday, June 7, 2009

"BIRTHDAYS JUST HAPPEN"


Why should I have a birthday
When I am growing so old.
It used to be just so much fun
When I was only ten
Even when I was sixteen
What good times we had then.
Oh, Yes! A party we much have
It must be a surprise
We must not know when it would be
Until friends would arrive.
Mother asked me to make some candy
Her sweet tooth needed to be filled
So she said to keep it secret.
"All right, Mother, yes, I will."
But when I put the candy to cool
Upon the pantry shelf
There to my surprise, I spied
A cake she had baked herself.
Many birthdays since have come and gone
With each one I've older grown
Sometimes I'd like to just forget
But to someone it's always known.
My children call me on the phone
"Happy Birthday Mother," they say
Happy tears come to my eyes,
I love them and they love me
So it's never a great surprise
That they should call and tell me so,
God bless them every one.
God has been good to give me
One daughter and three sons.
And so dear friends though you've had
So many birthdays, too
Just Thank God for the Happy ones
And for maybe some sad ones too
We must take the bitter with the sweet
For God has willed it so.
Even tho some days were bad,
If all our days were joyful
We'd not know how to be sad
But why should we oldsters have birthdays
You ask why should we celebrate
When we know we're the one year older
This truth we cannot escape.
So friends let's try to be happy
As long as God give us breath
We can Thank God for His great Love
And in Him we can fully rest.

by Elizabeth Calkins Lyons
November 4, 1974

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are always welcome here, God is my life.

My Blog List

AddThis

| More

THINGS I REALLY DIG

  • "A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING'
  • "AMAZING FACTS"
  • "blooming writer"
  • "Christie-Corner-Vegetarian"
  • "Gluten-Free Girl"
  • "Homemade by Jill"
  • Adventist Hall
  • http://www.amadeoacademy.org/
  • http://www.RenewedHeartMinistries.org/
  • Kayak Paddle Takes
  • My-Church is my Home and Family
  • RHOAN MORGAN

His Books Became Mine

  • The Great Controversy
  • The Bible
  • Desire of the Ages
  • Elizabeth's Poetry

Labels

3 Bullets

There once was a man who had nothing for his family to eat. He had an old rifle and three bullets.

So, he decided that he would go out hunting and kill some wild game for dinner.

As he went down the road, he saw a rabbit. He shot at the rabbit and missed it. The rabbit ran away.

Then he saw a squirrel and fired a shot at the squirrel, but missed it. The squirrel disappeared into a hole in a cottonwood treel.

As he went further, he saw a large, wild "Tom" turkey in the tree, but he had only one bullet remaining.

A voice spoke to him and said, "Pray first, aim high, and stay focused."

However, at the same time he saw a deer which was a better kill.

He brought the gun down and aimed at the deer. But, then he saw a rattlesnake between his legs, about to bite him, so he naturally brought the gun down further to shoot the rattlesnake.

Still, the voice said again to him, "I said, 'Pray, Aim high, and Stay focused."

So, the man decided to listen to God's voice.

He prayed, then aimed the gun high up in the tree, and shot the wild turkey.

The bullet bounced off the turkey and killed the deer.

The handle fell off the gun, hit the snake in the head, and killed it. And, when the gun had gone off, it knocked him into a pond.

When he stood up to look around, he had fish in all his pockets, a dead deer, and a turkey for his family to eat.

The snake, (Satan), was dead simply because the man listened to God.

Moral of the story:
Pray first before you do anything, aim and shoot high in your goals, and stay focused on God.

Blog Archive


~ HE IS THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD ~

Jesus, is our life, our Hope and Our Lord and Savior.
In Him do I trust. W/O Him I am lost and wondering around on this globe of existence without any life in me. W/Him, there is life, with Him there is Hope, with Him there is a place for me in heaven one day.

JESUS IS OUR LIGHT

JESUS IS OUR LIGHT
He shed those tears 4 U & I

JESUS IS THE ANSWER

"Our only Hope of Heaven".
He is the bright and morning star, the lily of the valley
our redeemer and forever friend.