Wednesday, April 21, 2010

MY THOUGHTS ON IRVING

MY THOUGHTS ON IRVING

As the years have gone by since I was a little girl, and I had a nickname for Irving because I couldn’t say this name. I must have embarrassed him terribly. I had names for all three brother but as I think back about it his nickname I wish that had been able to say his name.

I remember him pulling me around town in the winter time on a big grain shovel because, we didn’t have a sled at the time. He was always so kind and good to me. He was also good at correcting me when I had done something that was not pleasing unto the Lord or would get me in trouble with mother. He didn’t let the others pick on me, but neither did Floy.

My brothers did scare me when we still lived in the Parnell House, they would put me in the front yard when iit was time for the train to go by over the hill across the street from our house.

I was terrified of the trains because I had been told that if I didn’t behave the train would get off the track and run over me. Later though Irving took me over the bridge and showed me that I didn’t need to be afraid if I stayed away from the tracks and never went near them or tried to walk on them.

I thank him for the many good things that he taught me. When Floy was in the Army for 3 years it was nice to have him around to keep me in line, and to keep Don from picking on me. Don was the youngest until I was born and mother said that his nose was our of joint when I got old enough to play with toys. I was always playing with Don’s things and sometimes things got broken.

You see I had body guards to keep me safe most of the time. I didn’t fight with anyone but Don, it seemed that we were always at odds with each other. Don did go to bat for me once when my teacher lied about not teaching that we were derived from apes. I had tome my mother and of course she told the ladies aid at church. It got back to the principle at the school and I got called into his office. I was so scared that I couldn’t speak for myself, thus I was punished and put into the hall closet for the rest of the afternoon. Don when he found out, he went to her and told her and I don’t know who else, that she had taught all of us kids the same thing.

Basically, I had a pretty good bunch of brothers I guess, at least they tried to make up for us not having our dad. Dad was killed in a coalmine when I was 4 ½ years old. I missed him so much, so my brothers tried to take his place, especially Floy and Irving as they were older.

I remember when dad was still alive we made our own entertainment. Dad played the piano and we would all get around it at night and sing the old songs and hymns. Dad had a beautiful voice as did my Mom and brothers. I learned to sing at a very young age. I have always been so thankful for those nights around the piano. We all grew up loving to sing and I am thankful that we kept on singing, especially Irving and Floy. I don’t know if Don did or not as he’s been dead for a few years.

I am so thankful for my sisters in law that made my brothers happy and that they stayed married all those years. I tried, but I have been widowed twice by the age of 55 years of age. I was very happy but I guess that the Lord knew best about that. I still miss them both, and thankful for the years I did have with them..

My brothers were blessed with many years with their mates. Don and Violet had 40 years, Floy and Cleora had almost 59 years, and Irving and Leota almost 53. in a way I envied them because, I would have liked to have had at least 25 with one man.

I’ve been in Loveland a lot of years and it has been a blessing to know my family better. They are very precious to me and I love them a lot. Since Irving was so sick and the end was near for him, I had the pleasure of singing to him and at times with him. Hes oldest son Jhon and I sang a lot to him those last days, and the Lord has been very close to each of us during that time of stress. He is good to give inner peace to me as we have sang. It blessed each of us and Irving always wanted us to sing of the love of our Lord Jesus for those who come by faith and believe in Him as Lord and Savior. My brother Irving has been a godly man and when the Lord comes to take us home to be with Him we will have a great reunion as we meet on the Sea of Glass with all the redeemed through the ages sing praises to our great God and the Lamb who was slain the Son of God. What a day that will be, let’s all meet there.

See you there1

Sis, Betty Callahan
May 15, 2001

p.s.: May 16th about 1:00 a.m. he went to sleep in the arms of Jesus. Thank you, Lord for saving him these many years ago, now place watch over his wife and family until we meet you in the air Jesus.

This has been updated, as his wife died the same year on December 26th about the same time as Irving had those months before. Since then, his son John has passed away. Also, my brother Floy and Don’s wife Violet too. A dear half-sister last November just after thanksgiving time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are always welcome here, God is my life.

My Blog List

AddThis

| More

THINGS I REALLY DIG

  • "A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING'
  • "AMAZING FACTS"
  • "blooming writer"
  • "Christie-Corner-Vegetarian"
  • "Gluten-Free Girl"
  • "Homemade by Jill"
  • Adventist Hall
  • http://www.amadeoacademy.org/
  • http://www.RenewedHeartMinistries.org/
  • Kayak Paddle Takes
  • My-Church is my Home and Family
  • RHOAN MORGAN

His Books Became Mine

  • The Great Controversy
  • The Bible
  • Desire of the Ages
  • Elizabeth's Poetry

Labels

3 Bullets

There once was a man who had nothing for his family to eat. He had an old rifle and three bullets.

So, he decided that he would go out hunting and kill some wild game for dinner.

As he went down the road, he saw a rabbit. He shot at the rabbit and missed it. The rabbit ran away.

Then he saw a squirrel and fired a shot at the squirrel, but missed it. The squirrel disappeared into a hole in a cottonwood treel.

As he went further, he saw a large, wild "Tom" turkey in the tree, but he had only one bullet remaining.

A voice spoke to him and said, "Pray first, aim high, and stay focused."

However, at the same time he saw a deer which was a better kill.

He brought the gun down and aimed at the deer. But, then he saw a rattlesnake between his legs, about to bite him, so he naturally brought the gun down further to shoot the rattlesnake.

Still, the voice said again to him, "I said, 'Pray, Aim high, and Stay focused."

So, the man decided to listen to God's voice.

He prayed, then aimed the gun high up in the tree, and shot the wild turkey.

The bullet bounced off the turkey and killed the deer.

The handle fell off the gun, hit the snake in the head, and killed it. And, when the gun had gone off, it knocked him into a pond.

When he stood up to look around, he had fish in all his pockets, a dead deer, and a turkey for his family to eat.

The snake, (Satan), was dead simply because the man listened to God.

Moral of the story:
Pray first before you do anything, aim and shoot high in your goals, and stay focused on God.

Blog Archive


~ HE IS THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD ~

Jesus, is our life, our Hope and Our Lord and Savior.
In Him do I trust. W/O Him I am lost and wondering around on this globe of existence without any life in me. W/Him, there is life, with Him there is Hope, with Him there is a place for me in heaven one day.

JESUS IS OUR LIGHT

JESUS IS OUR LIGHT
He shed those tears 4 U & I

JESUS IS THE ANSWER

"Our only Hope of Heaven".
He is the bright and morning star, the lily of the valley
our redeemer and forever friend.